Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tropical Candy

(I'm writing a post a day about all the things I'm thankful for during this month of Thanksgiving)

As the day before Thanksgiving it seems appropriate to dedicate this post to food and how much good food adds to the enjoyment of life. I could write every day for a year on different food items I love like Katie’s delicious carrot cake or my mom’s zucchini pasta or tortilla de patatas with good Spanish bread or Taste of Thai’s Rama noodles…

I am also super excited for all the Thanksgiving food tomorrow!

But I am going to write about the incredible amazing and decadent tropical fruit I can sometimes take for granted here.

  • Pineapple. I freely admit I eat way too much pineapple because I will make my tongue bleed. But I cannot get enough. It is so good! A good pineapple would put most candy to shame!
  • Mango. We are not currently in mango season so it has been about 5 months since I’ve had a mango and I do miss it!! In a few months mango season will start and it is the best! Green ones are good ripe ones are amazing. That is when I really use the blender Uncle Steve gave me for my birthday!
  • Mamones. These are one of my favorites. They are so weird looking and inside they are yummy. They are in the family of litchis. We just went through mamon season and I made sure to eat as many as I could
(these are mamones in the trees)
  • Coconut: not necessarily a fruit in the traditional sense but close enough and I am thankful for it.
  • Others: guavas (not what we call guavas in the States): they are fluffy like marshmellows and come inside this pod. Manzanas de agua (water apples would be the literal translation…). …

(the stick looking things that are hanging are guavas)

I am very thankful for so many good fruit around though there are a few I miss: seedless grapes and good apples.

And I cannot write a post on food and not mention chocolate. I absolutely love love chocolate (milk and dark). J

No comments:

Post a Comment