Though it seems like Spain only does well when I am not in the country. Es un poco el colmo. The first time they won anything was in 2008 when they won the European league (it's a big deal ok?) I was in NYC with an internship that summer and I had to walk blocks to find a place that was showing the final game (the Yankees and the Mets were playing at the same time) I finally found this upscale Japanese restaurant with a bar where I could watch the game. It was me and 5 other men all wearing or supporting Germany (the other team in the final) As the goals started coming in for Spain I started bouncing on my bar stool :) At the end of the game all the waiters came by one by one to congratulate me. Heehee (my face probably looked like the following picture)

Then last year was the World Cup in South Africa. I had only been in my community for a month in a half when the games started and it was a great way to bond with everyone. They never expected this gringa española to be so into fútbol :) I've never had more morriña (homesickness 'made in Galicia') than when Spain won the Cup. I wanted to be there soooooo badly. Mom called me to tell that people were jumping into fountains in Porriño to celebrate and I wanted to join them. But I still loved celebrating from here!

So am I going to the game today? I wish! But after comparing the exhorbitant amount they are charging for the cheapest ticket to my modest volunteer salary I think buying a coke at the soda will be the best way to enjoy the game.

PS. I must also mention here: Hala Madrid! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment