Thursday, November 17, 2011

They make life fun

(I writing a post a day of things I am thankful for during this month of Thanksgiving)
The little (or not so little) kids in my community make my time here so full and rich. I am so incredibly thankful for all these kids and for their smiles and acceptance that have brightened my days.
(waiting to perform the typical dance)
(my Chicas Poderosas group)
There are two kids that live nearby that will run and jump into my arms often just to say hello and call out when I walk by (which is all the time) One afternoon Maria (all names have been changed) came over to my house and we drew with chalk for hours on my wooden porch. My landlady was a tad concerned when she saw that but Maria and I had so much fun and we were able to really bond and talk about important things.
(1st Communion)
(kids in the 5 kid school where I teach English)
I have played countless games of Uno Old Maid Memory (and Old Maid combined with Memory which doesn't really work) and just sat and talked or drew. I've help them study for their exams or simply shared a high five.
Juana is 3 years old and she will call out from the other side of the street to say hello. I felt so honored the day that she told me that she had named her new doll after me 'Rous'. Her mom tells me that whenever she doesn't want to eat her vegetables they tell Juana that if she wants to be as tall as me one day she needs to eat her vegetables (don't know if I approve of this kind of coercion but oh well)
Through the groups of Scouts (here they combine Boys and Girls Scouts) I've gotten to know them even better and it is a lot of fun. We play and goof around together.
(Scouts activity)
As the token Gringa I even got a few kids come around for trick or treats at Thanksgiving (not something that is done or celebrated here)

2 comments:

  1. Trick-or-treating on Thanksgiving sounds like an interesting twist on American culture (if that is what you meant).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Trick or treat at HALLOWEEN!

    ReplyDelete