Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Not as alone

(I'm writing a post a day about all the things I'm thankful for during this month of Thanksgiving)

I am so so thankful for gchat (and internet and cell phones). When I was applying for Peace Corps I never expected to have access to technology and I had this romantic notion that going 2 years without it would be great. I'm so glad that was not the case.

I did go through training without a cell phone and that was fine. But in site not having it would make life nearly impossible. All coordinating with other people and changing meetings (which of course happens 3 times before you can have any meeting) happens over text.

The first four months of being in site I didn't have internet and though good for my integration into my community it was hard. In those months having a cell phone and being able to send/receive a text from at least one other volunteer a day allowed me to realize I was not on this crazy adventure on my own.

Being able to gchat with a lot of my fellow volunteers allows me to feel less lonely and truly go through this experience with others that understand. It makes such a difference to simply be able to say good morning to someone as you start your day. I also love being able to keep up with my family and friends in the States and Spain and still be a part of their daily lives and they be a part of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment