(I'm writing a post a day on all the things I'm thankful for during this month of Thanksgiving)
When I was a little girl (and maybe not that little...) I always wanted to have a princess bed with a canopy over it. I dreamed of having some type of curtains/material that I could draw around my bed to create my own private and exclusive world. It seemed like it would allow me to camp out every night in my own comfy bed.

I did not get the canopy (though Mom and Dad did allow me to paint my room Barbie pink which I had until I became 'allergic to pink' :) ) I put this dream aside and never really though about it until:
Has my dream been fulfilled?
Be careful what you wish for :)
I must say that this puke green, stiff as a board, scratchy, heavy mosquito net is a very disappointing fulfillment of my 5 year old dream. But I am so so so thankful for it. When I first arrived and was given the net I didn't think I would ever put it up. But four months after being in my community, I was stung by a scorpion. Everyone in my community started telling me their stories of getting stung and how in a few cases the scorpion dropped on them from the ceiling as they were sleeping. That did it. I had one sleepless night and then decided to put the net up. It wasn't easy since I do have a ceiling which meant I couldn't tie it to the rafters (and the thing is quite heavy) But where there is a will there is a way.
I'm so glad I have it up and not just for the scorpions. Numerous times I have woken up in the middle of the night to a bat flying around inside my house. Thanks to the net I can just turn over in bed and forget about it. One evening I had a swarm of wasps invade the house (or something equally terrifying when they come in by the dozens) so after spraying some stuff I was able to go hide out under my net. For a few days I had a moth the size of my face (no joking) and I felt bad killing it (it mostly just stayed still on a wall). Knowing I could go to sleep without worrying about it allowed me to let it live its four or five days of life in the house until it died 'naturally'.
No comments:
Post a Comment