Friday, November 18, 2011

Raindrops on roses....

(I'm writing a post a day on all the things I'm thankful for during this month of Thanksgiving)

As the title suggests I am going to write about: RAIN! (though waaay more than raindrops) I am so thankful for rain!

Having grown up in Galicia I am used to continual rain. The rain in Spain does NOT fall mainly on the plain it falls in Galicia. Seriously.
(this is a 3 hour 'flood' we had last winter where the road in front of my house became a river)

Here in Costa Rica seasons are divided into: rainy season (May to Nov) and dry season (Dec to April) though here people call it winter and summer (summer is too hot for me!). The rainy season is quite long but from May until August it will rain about 2 hours each afternoon and then have a glorious sun the rest of the time. September and October (and in both my cases November) it can be torrential downpour for days which is way more scary than any earthquake as rivers flood and landslides happen (because Costa Rica is such a new country there isn't much bedrock to hold the earth down)
(even in Nicaragua it rains a lot!)
Here are some of the best things about the rain:
  • It sounds wonderful on the tin roof
  • Meetings are cancelled because no one wants to walk in the rain (and due to the above reason it can be impossible to hear anyone speak)
  • It's cooler
  • When the rain is starting you hear it approaching like a train (it's still not raining where you are but you can hear the intensity of it coming your way)
  • It muffles the noise from the cantina
My one request to this country with so much rain?
Everyone should pass an 'umbrella user exam'. You would think that everyone would be an expert user an know the etiquette of using an umbrella correctly in society but you would be surprised. Would you support my 'umbrella license' proposal? :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I too love the rain here. In fact a storm just arrived and like you said, you can hear the approach (which means you can bring clothes in from off the line or simply run home so that you don't get stuck in it!). Thanks for sharing your thankful posts, it's inspirational!

    ReplyDelete