Thursday, March 4, 2010

First Days

[Just as a warning I'm VERY tired so this might not make a ton of sense]
It has been such an intense, fun, exhausting time so far! As I said before there are 56 of us and I am surrounded by people 24/7. I sleep in a room the size of my room in B5 but with 10 people in it and though we are supposed to get hot showers I have still to enjoy one. But I have enjoyed getting to know everyone so much! Everyone has such cool life experiences and I wish I had the time to get to know everyone on a deeper level.

Tomorrow is our last day at this retreat center (we have meeting from 8 am to 9 pm and they range from learning about security to learning about my program or spanish classes...) On Saturday I go to my training host family's house in a community in the outskirts of San Jose. I will be living with this family for eleven weeks and do many activities in this community that will allow me to transition into what I will be doing at my actual site later on. I'm sad at the thought of being broken off from the other trainees (I will be in the same community with 3 to 5 gringos)

As for food, I've had rice at every single meal (no joke) and we get gallo pinto for breakfast (it is rice with black beans) I actually like gallo pinto a lot and the pineapple and papayas here are AMAZING. We've gotten the most interesting (and good!) juices at every meal and most of them I don't even know what they are.

A bit of background information on what I am doing (I probably should have started my blog with this but oh well):
I am a Peace Corps Trainee (PCT) in Costa Rica to work in community economic development (CED) After completing 11 weeks of training I will be sworn in as a volunteer and I will move to my site where I will live and work for 2 years.

Here are the three goals that define the Peace Corps mission and that we are supposed to live and breathe (and which I really like):
1. To help the people of interested countries in meeting their needs for trained men and women
2. To help promote a better understanding of American on the part of the peoples served
3. To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of all Americans

2 comments:

  1. Rose,
    I like the mission definition. Sort of parallels a possible Kingdom mission statement. It's clear and simple, but leaves room for the learning and helping to be mutual. Shouldn't it be always?
    ¿Qué haces durante las clases de español?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an exciting adventure already! I'll be praying for hot showers...or are the cold ones a relief from the Costa Rica heat? =P

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete