Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day in the Life

I've had a couple of you ask me what exactly am I doing here doing training. I will try to outline a 'typical' day/days so you get an idea (though every day is extremely different):

M/W/F: Spanish Day Classes
I get up around 6:15 (the house wakes up between 4:30 and 5) and I shower (it depends on the day if I get cold or warm shower) and I have breakfast. I have some time to read my Bible before class starts at 8 on my porch.
In the morning we talk a lot about Tico culture, sayings, words we do not know integrated into any project we are doing. There are five of us in the advanced group and we all have very different Spanish accents.
We have an hour lunch break and in the afternoon we usually have a 'field trip'. We visit the nearby town to see where the bank and post office is; we go meet the principal of the high school; or talk to business owners around town. Classes end around 3.
I hang out with the other trainees or go for a hike afterwards. I get home between 6 and 7 and I have dinner (maybe a mango) and then I help my host brother with his crossword puzzle (I'm not much help) I watch TV with the family until 9 when I go to my room to read my homework, journal and get ready for bed (I usually turn the lights off by 10:30)

T: Project Training
Morning routine the same (though I get up at 5:30) but I catch a bus at 6:20. All the economic development project trainees (19 of us) get together to learn project specific information: teaching english as a second language, what our goals are, what tools we have to assess needs, non formal education... We have class until 5 or 5:30.
Same night routine

R: CR orientation
On Thursdays the whole group gets together so I have to get a bus at 6:50. We have meetings/classes until 5:30 and it is focussed on health (great to learn about malaria and dengue fever), security issues and Tico culture. It is always great to see everyone.

Weekends vary (and will vary) a ton so I won't even try to write a 'typical' day.

(Oh, my family gets up before 5 and yet they go to bed after 11; I have no clue how they do it)

2 comments:

  1. So you get a good mix of predictable and unpredictable =) I bet the mangos are delectable...I can't wait for summer so we can get some here! =P

    <3alwayz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose- I love that you used "R" for Thursday!! I would never have known what that meant five years ago....

    ReplyDelete