
I'm involved in many of the groups, so I have helped organize countless bingos in my time here. Groups get support from the community by asking for prizes from people in town and in general people are very generous about providing a gift for these events. Gifts include mugs, tupperware, mixing bowls, and usually one big item like a fan or rice cooker. Then people will spend 1000 colones for a bingo card (about $2). They use corn kernels or beans to mark the numbers that were called.
People looove playing bingo. They take it seriously (I've made the mistake of trying to have a conversation while playing) and all ages play (from 12 to 95). People will get seriously mad at the person calling the numbers (do we have a name for that person in English???) if they aren't pulling the numbers they want. The games take on average 2 hours and any self respecting bingo will have at least 20 prizes. They will often play a few rounds of carton lleno (full card) where you have to fill the whole card to win (sigh).
One time at a bingo I went two hours late (I was trying to avoid playing because I think they are something you have to grow up playing to really enjoy) and the game had not yet started. At my table there was a whole extended family who had arrived before the scheduled time and had been waiting for two hours and a half. I asked them how long they would wait until they just left and they seemed shocked by my question. Finally, they responded that they would wait no matter how long it took even all afternoon. Such dedication!
Needless to say I am tired of bingos (we have one this afternoon) and I usually try to help in the kitchen if they are also selling food during the event. Once back in the States I will tell you right now: I will not be playing bingo again!
No comments:
Post a Comment