Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A CR Valentines

Valentines. Though I’ve never hated the day, it isn’t my favorite ‘holiday’ either. When I was little, I remember checking and rechecking my outfit to make sure I was not wearing any hint of red (I wouldn’t want my friends to make fun of me for being in love, right???) In college, it was a great excuse to eat chocolate and plan something with friends. So, approaching the day in CR, I wasn’t sure how the day would compare, but I liked that there seemed to be much more of a focus on valuating your friends as well as your significant other.

This is what my CR Valentine’s Day looked like:
Two days before, my friend and I came up with the idea of using Valentines to fundraise for the mini-library we are putting together (I am a bookworm, something I claim with pride, and I am so so excited about the prospect of putting together a library and having a book club and reading appreciation workshops) We decided to sell balloons on sticks with ribbon, chocolate and a message to the high school students. We were only able to get 34 balloons but it was a lot of work putting it all together and I spent all morning assembling and selling them. We could’ve sold three times what we had but it was great to get one tiny step closer to making the library dream a reality.

The postman, who delivers mail every other week, just happened to come by and I received a package from Katie that made me feel so loved. Not only that, but she bought a phone card and we got to talk for an hour. :)

Another volunteer sent me a homemade ice cream recipe, which I decided to try. Yummmmmy! I simply used milk, some sugar, vanilla and brewed coffee and I had to beat the mixture every half hour that it was in the freezer. Since I used skim milk, it is very light and I think I will be making ice cream often.

To finish the day, I had a neighbor come over at 5pm asking for help putting together a small ‘Día del Amor’ party for kids in town at 7pm. So for over 2 hours a group of 23 people that included kids, teenagers and a couple adults played tag, Simon says, the knot game, enano/gigante…and roasted marshmallows. It was great!

I had a wonderful day! I enjoyed people in town, I felt loved by my friends and I was able to realize in a special way how much I appreciate all the wonderful people that I get to call my friends. I hope you had a wonderful day too and you felt incredibly loved and valued!


PS. Two posts in one month! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment